Lovely Tourist House located close to Florence Cathedral
Tourist House Battistero · Monuments
Construction of the Cathedral of Santa Maria del Fiore ("Saint Mary of the Flower") in Florence first got underway in 1296 under the direction of renowned architect and artist, Arnolfo di Cambio. The new Cathedral was built as a substitute (and in the same location) for the previous Church of Santa Reparata Martire ("Saint Reparata the Martyr"), which was no longer suited to hold Florence's increased population.
The current Duomo di Firenze ("Florence Cathedral") was constructed with the encouragement and financing of the city of Florence, and not of the Church. It is for this reason that its interior has been decorated with numerous works of art recalling lay persons rather than religious figures.
After the death of Arnolfo di Cambio, construction of the Cathedral continued under the direction of standout artists including Giotto (author of the renowned Campanile or "Bell Tower"), Francesco Talenti, and Giovanni di Lapo Ghini.
After a troubled competition without any claims to victory, Brunelleschi was entrusted with the construction of the Cathedral's enormous dome. Brunelleschi then completed the Cathedral in 1436, the same year of the its consecration, with a dedication to Santa Maria del Fiore ("Saint Mary of the Flower").
Despite the consecration ceremony and official opening for followers of the Cathedral, the structure had not yet been entirely completed.
It in fact remained bare for several hundred years until the 19th century, when Emilio De Fabris claimed victory in the relevant competition. De Fabris completed the facade (in 1887) with a project which faithfully reproduced the original style of the Campanile di Giotto ("Giotto's Bell Tower") and the sides of the Cathedral.
The Museo Nazionale del Bargello ("Bargello National Museum") is housed in its namesake Florentine building, also known as Palazzo del Popolo ("People's Palace").
This important museum in Florence, located in Via del Proconsolo, 4, hosts an important collection of sculptures and works of art.
The Palazzo del Popolo, later named the "Bargello", was founded following the constitution of the "free commune" of Florence and the new post of Capitano del Popolo ("The People's Captain").
The first Palace was created from the fusion of the pre-existing buildings in approximately 1250 and was subsequently built upon and extended on several occasions between 1340 and 1445. Halfway through the 14th century, it also became the official site for the offices of the Governor of Florence, whilst in the second half of the 15th century (following the rise to power of the De' Medici family), it became the official site for the Justice Council, as well as a city jail.
In 1865, after long repairs and the restoration of its antique appearance, it was inaugurated as the Museo Nazionale del Bargello ("Bargello National Museum"), and the jails were transferred to another location.
The Bargello Museum hosts a very rich collection of artworks from some of the greatest names in the history of Italian art, including Donatello, Benedetto da Maiano, Bartolomeo Ammannati, Giambologna, Arnolfo di Cambio, Michelangelo Buonarroti, Benvenuto Cellini, Andrea Sansovino, Giotto, Lorenzo Ghiberti, Filippo Brunelleschi, Giovanni della Robbia and many others.
A museum not be missed during your visit to Florence.
The term "bargello" derives from the longobard (late Latin) bargillus, used to define a "fortified tower" or "castle". This term, which specifically identified the official site of the palace of justice, was later also used to identify the palace's Captain (of the People). In Florence, the Bargello was often chosen by non-Florentines and summonsed by neighbouring cities, as would also occur for the role of the governor of Florence.