The Museo Nazionale del Bargello ("Bargello National Museum") is housed in its namesake Florentine building, also known as Palazzo del Popolo ("People's Palace").
This important museum in Florence, located in Via del Proconsolo, 4, hosts an important collection of sculptures and works of art.
The Palazzo del Popolo, later named the "Bargello", was founded following the constitution of the "free commune" of Florence and the new post of Capitano del Popolo ("The People's Captain").
The first Palace was created from the fusion of the pre-existing buildings in approximately 1250 and was subsequently built upon and extended on several occasions between 1340 and 1445. Halfway through the 14th century, it also became the official site for the offices of the Governor of Florence, whilst in the second half of the 15th century (following the rise to power of the De' Medici family), it became the official site for the Justice Council, as well as a city jail.
In 1865, after long repairs and the restoration of its antique appearance, it was inaugurated as the Museo Nazionale del Bargello ("Bargello National Museum"), and the jails were transferred to another location.
The Bargello Museum hosts a very rich collection of artworks from some of the greatest names in the history of Italian art, including Donatello, Benedetto da Maiano, Bartolomeo Ammannati, Giambologna, Arnolfo di Cambio, Michelangelo Buonarroti, Benvenuto Cellini, Andrea Sansovino, Giotto, Lorenzo Ghiberti, Filippo Brunelleschi, Giovanni della Robbia and many others.
A museum not be missed during your visit to Florence.